***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Joined Jul 15, 2018

The quote below is about one of the four characteristics that make the polarization of our political environment different from what's observable in other democracies:

and

(we already knew that)

Finally,

The question is, who can make this happen, and how? Are there even politicians who think that breaking up the Dem/Rep coalitions and introducing actual proportional representation is needed?
It might have been here or on another forum but the issue against this use to be it makes government move slower. Of course this was before the Republicans became an outlier focused on creating gridlock and having tantrums. Their have been effective American. third parties before, but it would have to start local and work it’s way up. They would also have to be a lot more shrewd initially about where and who they ran in races.

The issue progressives have for example is they are still running people in Center to right districts and then get Mollywopped and everyone says “see the progressives are limited” the reality is the progressives aren’t choosy enough and lack a strong top down structure to protect their brand from being used by losing campaigns.

The Tea party took the Republicans over, but Flipside of that was the party was already schewing rightward. It didn’t take much for the party to become a race to meet the majority of the constituents to the shameful state they were already at. Rush Limbaugh is literally the founder father of the current Right and their “we hate everyone” philosophy. While he is dead, he laid the work for making hate mainstream.

I love the Working Families Party and think they could probably run third party candidates. However, overtime they made the smart choice just to provide support to democratic candidates they find appealing instead of running independently. If anything the most gutsy move would be to get people elected as Democrats and then (with the blessing of constituents and fundraisers) a few can jump ship to their own party on the state/local level and from there in time they can make the push to the national with the guys most likely to win. Keep in mind Cuomo (that POS) basically forced them to be at odds with unions which on the democratic side would be great as a third party base. So a third or fourth party would be great, but it would mean political experts were willing to take smart risks and the bravest politicians tend to be stupid as dirt and the smartest politicians tend to be chicken **** cowards.

Last edited:
Joined Aug 2, 2006

Another legal gun fight.

Does NT agree… making kids recite the pledge of allegiance is a form of indoctrination?
I mean yes i guess, but like it's a socitey. is

I don't really get how you have a socitey with some amount of indoctrination.

in canada we sing the anthem in French and English because bilingualism is an important value in Canadian socitey.
I would say it's indoctrination but not all indoctrination is bad.

Last edited:

RustyShackleford

Supporter
Joined Jul 20, 2009
I think it was meant as an indoctrination sure, but now I think it is more of a silly tradition now

But by middle school it starts to become a joke, by high school, a lot of students think of it as a pointless hassle

Plus the fact they added "one Nation under God", something that goes against the spirit of the Constitution, to it just because they were scared of the community is so ****ing stupid

The fact it was clearly antagonistic to black Americans for a long time makes me think of it as even more silly

Say it, not say it, I don't have wrong feelings but I can't think of a strong defensive for keep saying it

Joined Jan 16, 2011
Wargames Wargames
Taking over the Democratic party is one thing, but it still wouldn't fix the issue of hyperpolarization and all the other problems that we are experiencing because of the permanent coalitions that are the Dem/Rep parties.

Even though it would make me feel good to see progressives take over the Democratic party, we should recognize that it would be a short-term victory with terrible consequences: two dominant and ideologically opposed parties can only destabilize a society as they get more entrenched. The only way to fix things is to change the way our elections work so that more than two parties can exist in Congress, but there should be a coalition of democrats and republicans who get together to push that idea to the forefront of the political debate.

The main hurdle to this idea is the willingness to lose power, and I currently don't see many politicians on either side who are willing to damage the short term electoral prospects of their party for the long-term stability of our society.

Until then, we're pretty much stuck in this left/right cycle until things break down beyond repair.

RustyShackleford

Supporter
Joined Jul 20, 2009
This week we talked about how teachers should have to answer to parents because they are public servants, and because of a bad faith moral panic whipped up by conservatives

Like us take a look at another place where conservatives are going after public servants...

Joined Jul 15, 2018
Wargames Wargames
Taking over the Democratic party is one thing, but it still wouldn't fix the issue of hyperpolarization and all the other problems that we are experiencing because of the permanent coalitions that are the Dem/Rep parties.

Even though it would make me feel good to see progressives take over the Democratic party, we should recognize that it would be a short-term victory with terrible consequences: two dominant and ideologically opposed parties can only destabilize a society as they get more entrenched. The only way to fix things is to change the way our elections work so that more than two parties can exist in Congress, but there should be a coalition of democrats and republicans who get together to push that idea to the forefront of the political debate.

The main hurdle to this idea is the willingness to lose power, and I currently don't see many politicians on either side who are willing to damage the short term electoral prospects of their party for the long-term stability of our society.

Until then, we're pretty much stuck in this left/right cycle until things break down beyond repair.
I agree with you, I was just explaining the barriers to a third or fourth party existing. The only way it could happen would be a local coalition putting people in position with the understanding they would leave to form the new party later.

These politicians wouldn’t have to be democratic leadership. They would just have to be electeds and it couldn’t just be one. It would probably have to be a whole stable of politicians starting from the local level, through the state, and probably ending with a few members in congress. Then they as a group could separate to form their own party. if not then you would have another AOC situation where a superstar politician is in place but has no team to support them.

The Tea party isn’t going to be repeated, there isn’t nearly enough outside money to fund it. A actual grassroots approach could work for the Democrats.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now