***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Joined Dec 12, 2012
I'll start deferring to you on the medical device stuff because I only really know second-hand info. But doesn't it seem like a reasonable solution is de-regulation, generics and legal protections for companies to increase competition?

Does that sound like it would help to decrease costs while allowing the companies to still maintain profits?

The obvious draw back in that scenario is the safety but I'm not really sure if that fear is over-stated
I would never recommend de-regulation in FDA regulated industries. Even with the strong regulations defective products make it into the market all the time. This one in particular always comes to mind: https://www.classaction.com/transvaginal-mesh/lawsuit/#transvaginal-mesh-lawsuits. Or J&J's talcum powder cancer lawsuit: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44816805.

As we get closer to a coronavirus vaccine, you'll probably start to hear more and more about how people are concerned about a "rushed" vaccine. It's important to note that any vaccine in development has to follow all of the same strict procedures as any other vaccine.

At the end of the day, it's not like these companies have well-meaning altruistic leaders at the top. They're the same bottom line executives that any other company would have, but they're held to guidelines that have been put in place by the FDA.

You wouldn't want de-regulation in aerospace (see: Boeing 737 MAX 8, or even the reports of quality issues with the 787). Similarly you don't want de-regulation in medical devices and pharmaceuticals.

From personal experience I can tell you that there are still people at these companies try to push shady practices. I've definitely had people come to me trying to get me to do **** that isn't right.

Joined Dec 30, 2006
My question is what if they don’t.....
There are a lot of good reasons to push for re-opening. Often, for lower-income families, school is the only dependable place for children to get certain meals and provides a somewhat safe place for children while parents are at work.

In a perfect scenario, everyone would stay home indefinitely. But not sure how realistic that is.

whywesteppin

Supporter
Joined Mar 27, 2004
Trump: we must fight against cancel culture

Also Trump: we must cancel ______ because they hurt my feelings

a thread:

RustyShackleford

Supporter
Joined Jul 20, 2009
There are a lot of good reasons to push for re-opening. Often, for lower-income families, school is the only dependable place for children to get certain meals and provides a somewhat safe place for children while parents are at work.

In a perfect scenario, everyone would stay home indefinitely. But not sure how realistic that is.
You bring this up to back up Trump, yet...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...chool-lunch-free-trump-food-stamp/2457920001/

Nearly 1 million low-income students would lose automatic access to free school lunches under a proposal from President Donald Trump's administration that aims to limit the number of people receiving federal food stamps.

And advocates say even more could lose free meals as the implications of the cuts ripple across low-income schools. But the Trump administration says those concerns are overblown.
Stop injecting that **** into your veins, b.

Joined Dec 30, 2006
You bring this up to back up Trump, yet...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...chool-lunch-free-trump-food-stamp/2457920001/

Stop injecting that **** into your veins, b.
This is misleading, the students would still be eligible for the free meals.

From the article you posted:

But U.S. Department of Agriculture officials said they expect the vast majority of schools using that provision to be able to do so even if the administration's proposal passes.

They also said the majority of children from households receiving SNAP benefits still would be eligible for free- and reduced-price meals in school. But their families would have to apply for them individually instead of being approved automatically.

So my initial statement still stands.

RustyShackleford

Supporter
Joined Jul 20, 2009
This is misleading, the students would still be eligible for the free meals.

From the article you posted:

But U.S. Department of Agriculture officials said they expect the vast majority of schools using that provision to be able to do so even if the administration's proposal passes.

They also said the majority of children from households receiving SNAP benefits still would be eligible for free- and reduced-price meals in school. But their families would have to apply for them individually instead of being approved automatically.

So my initial statement still stands.
Any economist will tell you that increasing transaction cost for a program makes people fall through the cracks. So in theory you can claim they will be still be eligible but in practice less students will be able to benefit from the programs.

So you trash *** opinion is based on ignorance of basic economics. Take that needle out your arm and do better Bubs.

Here is some more ****ery I am sure you support though...

Last edited:
Joined Dec 15, 2012

Well churches and rich donors would fix the hunger problem if school is cancelled so we should be good on that front.

Joined Dec 30, 2006
Well churches and rich donors would fix the hunger problem if school is cancelled so we should be good on that front.
While clever, the issue here was the resulting social distancing as a result of COVID-19, not the funding portion.

Joined Dec 30, 2006
Any economist will tell you that increasing transaction cost for a program makes people fall through the cracks. So in theory you can claim they will be still be eligible but in practice less students will be able to benefit from the programs.

So you trash *** opinion is based on ignorance of basic economics. Take that needle out your arm and do better.

Here is some more ****ery I am sure you support though...
Not sure why you'd think I'd support that. I have stated that we need immigration reform.

Did you support the massive deportation under the prior administration?

Also, you know I defer to you on matters of the economy.

Joined Dec 15, 2012
While clever, the issue here was the resulting social distancing as a result of COVID-19, not the funding portion.
so why is funding for school lunches an issue if they can’t just get food from churches and rich community donors? Seems like all the churches could come together in a proper, socially distant way to create boxed lunches for these kids who are unable to go to school and get lunches there.

Joined Dec 30, 2006
so why is funding for school lunches an issue if they can’t just get food from churches and rich community donors? Seems like all the churches could come together in a proper, socially distant way to create boxed lunches for these kids who are unable to go to school and get lunches there.
They could. Actually sounds like a great idea. Why didn't I think of that? Oh wait. . .

Joined Dec 15, 2012
They could. Actually sounds like a great idea. Why didn't I think of that? Oh wait. . .
I know you did, thats why I am asking why is this an issue:

if it can all be solved by church and rich donors?

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now