***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Joined Dec 30, 2006
Unless you are a part-time lawyer I doubt you would meet the hour requirements for it to be classified as a business upon audit either. Most lawyers I know work 40-60 hour weeks and simply do not have the 500+ hours to meet the hours requirement in the time an effort test.

But continue railing on welfare for those who actually need it while taking welfare while not actually needing it yourself. No hypocrisy there at all.
I want to respond to your edits since you made them after my initial response. I don't want you, or anyone, to think I intentionally didn't respond.

You are basically backtracking and illustrating all of the assumptions that you had to make to get to your initial determination. But even that doesn't make much sense as I probably spend more than 500 hours just on Niketalk.

I don't rail on people that receive welfare. I have advanced welfare reform, from Congress. I think there are reasonable critiques of this sba program and how it has been administered. But that shouldn't be aimed at the recipients, it should be aimed at Congress and the sba.

Methodical Management

Staff member
Co-Founder
Joined Dec 8, 1999
It isn't just a hobby because you say so. And I did not brag about it.
No, it isn't a hobby just because I say so. And I did not say so.

If you are operating a resale business at a scale distinct from that of the average Stock X user, your loan could be considered technically appropriate, if unnecessary. I imagine that a simple link to your seller account would relieve any doubt, but that's obviously your choice. For now, the significance of your business is unknown, but the necessity of the loan is not. That, to me, is the greater issue. The rest is between you and the SBA.

For reference, I considered it improper for NikeTalk to request any government aid, even though it does meet the necessary criteria and actually has suffered a substantial reduction in both ad revenue and traffic as a result of the pandemic. We do not require them, so we did not request them.

That type of rhetoric is troubling and I am interested to know what makes you think it applies it me. If someone else made the same type of charged comments about other government programs it would undoubtedly, rightly, be deleted because it traffics in some horrible (often racist) assumptions.
Funny, I thought something could only be racist if it was videotaped using a racial slur.

You'll note that my post was made in response to your spurious comparison of the EIDL program to comparatively frivolous promotional offers by private corporations.
My comments served to underscore the gravity of the program.

Verizon rewards are for individuals. PPP and EIDL loans are for business use only. (And not ALL businesses qualify. Hobby businesses do not.)
Thus, it's not a good comparison.

Taking advantage of a company's rewards program is using that program as intended. If Apple Music subscriptions or $250 account credits are only available while supplies last, claiming these benefits will not lead to anyone's eviction or bankruptcy.

The same cannot be said for unnecessary use of emergency government assistance programs. That is the basis for my comments.

But I won't have a pissing contest on who donates the most, gives the most back, etc.
I can understand why.

Enjoy your new business loan advance.
I couldn't.

Joined Jan 16, 2011

The data collection problem
The latest government data available don’t account for many workers who are still on the job but are expected to be let go. For example, Boeing announced plans to cut 16,000 workers, with 12,300 of those job cuts already being identified through buyouts or involuntary permanent layoffs. But virtually all of those affected workers are still on the job as of today.

Similarly, thousands of stores are closing permanently but still have workers in place as retailers hold closing sales.

And deep financial problems at state and local governments, most of which began a new fiscal year last week, are expected to lead to millions of additional permanent job cuts in the coming weeks and months unless Congress agrees to new round of financial assistance.

But Zandi said he’s concerned that the good headline number in last week’s jobs report might make it tougher to get the needed help passed through Congress.

“People might look at the better than anticipated jobs numbers, they say ‘The coast is clear economically,'” he said. “That’s the exact wrong message.”

Joined Jun 28, 2004
Everyone should read this story, it’s short and yet the content of the story is even more dreadful than the headline.

We need to abandon the notion that your quality of life be attached to employment then leave the quality and availability to private sector actors who have every incentive to make work that’s not only low paid and lacking in benefits but is also very precarious.

Also because States and cities cannot print money, if the federal government fails to inject those States and cities with cash during emergencies and/or economic downturns, States and cities have to make substantial cuts as the need for State government services is increasing and as unemployment is increasing. This is not a bug but rather a feature from the standpoint of capital.

At this point, I don’t know how a person could not be at least ok with the idea of revolution. The vast majority are being slowly strangled and with each downturn or disaster, the strangulation gets stronger.

whywesteppin

Supporter
Joined Mar 27, 2004
I bring this up not because I give a **** about ****er carlson but because it gives us an opportunity to highlight Tammy Duckworth.

Her father, a veteran of WWII and the Vietnam War, is a descendant of other Americans who have fought in every major US war (all the way back to the Revolutionary War). She was working on her PhD when she was deployed to Iraq as a a helicopter pilot in the Army. She was shot down by Iraqis, however, and lost both her legs in 2004. She is now a Senator from Illinois and in consideration to be Biden's VP.

Fast forward to this week, when ****er carlson questions her patriotism and says people like her "actually hate America."

****ing awful. But I guess par for the course from the party that is ok with Russia putting bounties on American soldiers. But our troops. **** you.

Joined Jan 16, 2011
I bring this up not because I give a **** about ****er carlson but because it gives us an opportunity to highlight Tammy Duckworth.

Her father, a veteran of WWII and the Vietnam War, is a descendant of other Americans who have fought in every major US war (all the way back to the Revolutionary War). She was working on her PhD when she was deployed to Iraq as a a helicopter pilot in the Army. She was shot down by Iraqis, however, and lost both her legs in 2004. She is now a Senator from Illinois and in consideration to be Biden's VP.

Fast forward to this week, when ****er carlson questions her patriotism and says people like her "actually hate America."

****ing awful. But I guess par for the course from the party that is ok with Russia putting bounties on American soldiers. But our troops. **** you.
Off-topic: is he taking makeup tips from the don? The difference in color between the area around his eyes and the rest of his face is starting to match that of the owner of the boots he loves to lick.

Joined Dec 15, 2012
Are we surpised DWalk is a POS? We knew this already.

-He supports pedophiles
-He supports racists
-Hates black people
-Defrauds the government

Thats just a few.
I think what slipped through the cracks in all of this is the fact that he applied for assistance while paying a $600/year annual credit card fee

elpablo21

Supporter
Joined Feb 11, 2008

“There are practical realities — we ran a bunch of red district primaries, and it would come back that the number one issue for 80+% of Republican primary voters was loyalty to Donald Trump. I’m not making that number up,” a respondent told me.

Several consultants pointed to the situation that Sen. John Cornyn faces in Texas to illustrate the problem. They indicated that internal polling shows Trump either tied or very slightly ahead in the Lone Star State. One said Cornyn should be feeling very lucky that Beto O’Rourke ran for president, rather than tacking slightly center and spending $90 million on a campaign to unseat the incumbent senator. Another said Cornyn’s “quietly in trouble.”
Damnit Starboy

That compartmentalization is reflected in the emotional valence that comes when discussing the things about our terrible political moment that really anger them. From my vantage point, the anger should be directed at Trump. After all, in most every way besides financial Trump has tarnished their daily lives. One admitted to not being able to discuss his job with his wife any longer. Another lamented being called “racist” and “evil.” All expressed exasperation that Trump encompasses everything they talk about. Some felt deeply internally conflicted about work that used to make them proud. They all felt Trump had left them with no other options. Only a couple seemed to be having much fun.

But for several others, Trump was someone they related to, a shadow side who was an emotional outlet for their anger.

They are mad (rightly) at people like Ben Sasse who act like they take the moral high ground only to hide under the hay bales until their primary is over. They are mad at people like Jeff Flake who moralized while angling for a new job in corporate America.

They are mad at the Lincoln Project for attacking innocent GOP Senators (“There’s no coming back for these Lincoln Project mother****ers, it doesn’t matter what next. They are madder at those people than [at] Trump for sure”).

They are mad at the media. (“There is so much hyperbole around Trump and around these events. And it goes so thermonuclear outrage every ****in 3 or 4 days. The scar tissue built up on what is a big thing anymore.”)

Really, really mad at the media. (“There’s not a moment where they are not in your face. It’s not bull**** that they are a leftist institution. The mask is off.)

They are mad at the left. (“I’m not going to bow to every liberal altar on this”).

Really, really mad at the left. (“Woke culture has created no other lane for you but to support him on the one or two things that you like and then you have to countenance all the rest of the bull****”).

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now