***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Joined Dec 30, 2006
So your issue isn't that qualifying Tennessee residents may luxuriate in a TANF benefit of $277 for a maximum of 60 months, but that, as a taxpayer, you're to contribute to it?

And you, for reasons unknown, believe it would be more "empowering" if such assistance were not a human right or public entitlement, but entirely dependent on private largesse?

Is that accurate?
That is inaccurate.

1. My discussion is not limited to TANF benefits. That isn’t even what we were discussing.TANF has term limits already. Not quite sure why you’ve brought it into the discussion.

2. I think it is more empowering when churches and donors pour into the local communities and I think that support coming from other black leaders would strengthen black empowerment and black community pride.

3. It has nothing to do with what I pay in taxes. Nothing about what I said reduces what I spend. It’s a discussion on where to direct funds and their funding sources. I would still pay taxes and contribute to organizations privately, as I do now.

4. Something can simultaneously be a human right and not fully funded by the government without term limits. Happens all the time.

5. I didn’t say entirely dependent on private funding, I stated term limits. So the discussion is about how long it is funded by the public prior to being funded by private organizations/donors. The term limits would be for each individual so the government funding doesn’t just end.

Methodical Management

Staff member
Co-Founder
Joined Dec 8, 1999
Economic Anxiety bike like cooked crack

And she's the "progressive" on the show
It's not racist to yearn for "a time when white men were unequivocally on top of the national pecking order?"

This is the stuff I've been talking about, which we're expected to stomach for the sake of an assimilationist coalition that prioritizes and centers White grievance under the guise of labor.

That is inaccurate.

1. My discussion is not limited to TANF benefits. That isn’t even what we were discussing.TANF has term limits already. Not quite sure why you’ve brought it into the discussion.
You're not quite sure why we're talking about TANF in a discussion about welfare benefits? Really?

2. I think it is more empowering when churches and donors pour into the local communities and I think that support coming from other black leaders would strengthen black empowerment and black community pride.
Taken in concert with your claim that government needs to impose term limits on "welfare" (without specifying any particular programs), this sounds an awful lot like you're suggesting that the government is doing too much to address the inequities it has created, and Black leaders aren't doing enough.

Is there something wrong with government aid?

Maybe if you didn't support the least diverse administration in recent history we'd have more Black leaders in government.

3. It has nothing to do with what I pay in taxes. Nothing about what I said reduces what I spend. It’s a discussion on where to direct funds and their funding sources. I would still pay taxes and contribute to organizations privately, as I do now.
Taxes are required. Donations are not. It's kind of an important distinction.

Nonprofit contributions suffer at times when public assistance is most urgently needed.

The government will run unprecedented deficits to pay for COVID-19 relief on top of your precious Trump tax cuts.
Will your church go into debt to feed the poor?

4. Something can simultaneously be a human right and not fully funded by the government without term limits. Happens all the time.
No child in the wealthiest society in the history of human civilization should go without food, shelter, and healthcare - if Bill Gates is feeling generous. Sounds "empowering."

5. I didn’t say entirely dependent on private funding, I stated term limits. So the discussion is about how long it is funded by the public prior to being funded by private organizations/donors. The term limits would be for each individual so the government funding doesn’t just end.
What, exactly, are you saying then?

Term limits on what? Government funding of what?

SNAP? TANF? Medicaid? SSI? The EITC? HCVP?

What, exactly, should be "transitioned" away from obligatory public funding and into voluntary private funding?

Which basic necessities should depend primarily upon the whims of the wealthy?

Joined Jun 28, 2004
If you don’t have solidarity with each and every worker, including and especially the most marginalized workers, then I don’t have solidarity with you. So called “right populists” can piss off and anyone calling themselves a leftists who wants to work with them can do so as well.

Every worker includes: most white collar workers, artists, sex workers, grad students, unemployed people, imprisoned people, domestic workers, homeless people, fast food workers, most civil servants, documented immigrants, undocumented immigrants, housewives, parents on public assistance, home are workers, and anyone else who has labored in service of capital, directly or indirectly.

Last edited:
Joined May 30, 2005
No one:

Absolutely no one:

The Right & Trump: *Hands beer to Putin*

... etc.

:rofl: :smh:

You can’t make this stuff up... lol

Joined Dec 30, 2006
It's not racist to yearn for "a time when white men were unequivocally on top of the national pecking order?"

This is the stuff I've been talking about, which we're expected to stomach for the sake of an assimilationist coalition that prioritizes and centers White grievance under the guise of labor.

You're not quite sure why we're talking about TANF in a discussion about welfare benefits? Really?

Taken in concert with your claim that government needs to impose term limits on "welfare" (without specifying any particular programs), this sounds an awful lot like you're suggesting that the government is doing too much to address the inequities it has created, and Black leaders aren't doing enough.

Is there something wrong with government aid?

Maybe if you didn't support the least diverse administration in recent history we'd have more Black leaders in government.

Taxes are required. Donations are not. It's kind of an important distinction.

Nonprofit contributions suffer at times when public assistance is most urgently needed.

The government will run unprecedented deficits to pay for COVID-19 relief on top of your precious Trump tax cuts.
Will your church go into debt to feed the poor?

No child in the wealthiest society in the history of human civilization should go without food, shelter, and healthcare - if Bill Gates is feeling generous. Sounds "empowering."

What, exactly, are you saying then?

Term limits on what? Government funding of what?

SNAP? TANF? Medicaid? SSI? The EITC? HCVP?

What, exactly, should be "transitioned" away from obligatory public funding and into voluntary private funding?

Which basic necessities should depend primarily upon the whims of the wealthy?
The reason TANF clearly doesn’t make sense is because it already has term limits similar to what I’m advocating.

Typically, the conversation in here has been about SNAP. As I said before, RustyShackleford RustyShackleford said it won’t work basically because he doesn’t believe in individuals/charitable organizations to give at the same levels. I disagree.

This isn’t about wealthy donors. Tons of middle class families will contribute to these causes. Same for churches. This isn’t some foreign concept. It already happens; I simply think that it will increase if the term limits I describe are implemented.

The funding saved with the term limits could be redirected to education to further help empower families in need.

The idea that term limits with a shift to a community-based model means someone doesn’t care about the community is silly imo.

If you don’t trust that the community will do the right thing, just say that.

Joined Dec 15, 2012
The reason TANF clearly doesn’t make sense is because it already has term limits similar to what I’m advocating.

Typically, the conversation in here has been about SNAP. As I said before, RustyShackleford RustyShackleford said it won’t work basically because he doesn’t believe in individuals/charitable organizations to give at the same levels. I disagree.

This isn’t about wealthy donors. Tons of middle class families will contribute to these causes. Same for churches. This isn’t some foreign concept. It already happens; I simply think that it will increase if the term limits I describe are implemented.

The funding saved with the term limits could be redirected to education to further help empower families in need.

The idea that term limits with a shift to a community-based model means someone doesn’t care about the community is silly imo.

If you don’t trust that the community will do the right thing, just say that.
Here’s the thing you don’t acknowledge. In times of economic downturn such as the one we are in now, by and large most people reduce spending/giving and increase savings. Right now those who are rich are scaling back as much money as we have seen at any point in the last 50 years.

Here is why that’s problematic. Using this downturn as an example, most economists agree this will be a two year downturn and we have had the highest unemployment we have had in the last century. Your proposal is a nuclear bomb of bad things happening all at once. Rich reduce spending, extended unemployment And joblessness which leads to foreclosures and homelessness, followed by a prolonged period of economic downturn because 70% of our GDP is based on discretionary spending.

In situations like we are in now, how well do you think a reduction in spending/giving from the rich and an increase in unemployment are going to bode with term limits on programs such as SNAP which you keep erroneously claiming there are no term limits even though there are?

Also if the community would do the right thing, why do we have homelessness now?

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now