Starting a corporate job at 28 any advice ?

Joined Feb 24, 2016
I mean cmon. Only if they deserve a chokehold.

And I used to sexually harass many of my ex female co-workers. I worked at a medical
Clinic and ya know how loose nurses and call centers employees be. They used to be my pickins' when on a dry spell.
Harassment is a really bad issue in tech. As much as I want my wife to transition to the space as the money is awesome, stuff I hear about and have witnessed have no place in modern offices.

wj4

Joined Jul 6, 2002
Also work smarter, not harder, don't get burnt out while your counterpart is coasting.
Set a schedule after work. Always have time for an activity you enjoy.
It depends on his goals. I urge everyone to self assess themselves. He's 28. If he's happy with having a regular sales job, then yes...just work and hang out after. Let's say he wants to be a sales director by age 33, no way he can do this. He would need to spend his free time teaching himself on the best sales/relationship building strategies, and maybe go to meet ups or local sales groups. He would need to come in with guns blazing and stand out from the other sales people.

If you want to be the top performer in your field, you need to work harder and smarter than everyone else. No way around it. But the cool thing is that at a certain point, opportunities find you. At one of my companies, when we searched for a CMO, the recruiters spent months courting a lady from the UK. The package was great: double her current salary, relocation for her home, schools for her kids paid for, and the company bought her two cars up to $120k value each.

The friends and mentors I know that make the most money (8-9 figures) are absolute beasts. They never Netflix and chill on the weekends or hit Happy Hour after work when they first started. They still get up super early to get the most out of their days. Again, this is not for everyone. I have other friends who make $15 an hour and absolutely love what they do. They don't mind having old cars or no cars at all. They don't mind having 3-4 roommates because rent is expensive where they live.

The overall point is to know what you want from life and go for it. If you have goals that demand a lot of work, sacrifice the short term fun stuff for long term gains. I'm 31, and I still have friends who are miserable because they had too much fun in their 20s and are stuck at dead end jobs. But truthfully, there's no such thing as a dead end job, just a dead end mentality. I say this because all of the ones I know that make 8-9 figures never even went to college. But the friends I have that are complaining about their crappy jobs are too lazy to change their lives...that's the hard part.

Nereyda Vuelve Por Dios

formerly DONRE
Joined Jul 22, 2012
Harassment is a really bad issue in tech. As much as I want my wife to transition to the space as the money is awesome, stuff I hear about and have witnessed have no place in modern offices.
It makes me sound like a creep to say sexually harass but it wasn't really that since they consented and it was just flirtation btw two adults.

But being serious, if you feeling a co worker make sure to press outside of work. Best believe someone will over hear and/or presume **** if ya around each other a lot.

And be very careful, becuase some women will get you hooked just to claim harassment to get you fired. Just to move in on your clients or position.

Cold world out here.

Joined Feb 24, 2016
My best advice to OP, focus on your goals and on your spiffs and make money while you can in sales if you excel at it. Learn more about the business if you like the company. Then see what path you like within if it works out or somewhere else if it doesn't fit.

Joined Apr 27, 2014
What have you heard and witnessed, and why does it seem to occur so frequently in tech?

Top Boy

formerly jay patt
Joined Feb 5, 2013
Find someone in your department you're cool spending time with and latch on to them.

I work in IT, so contacts is very important. Who from what business unit does your team interact with that can do their job and doesn't move at a glacier pace?

Get a feel for the personalities on your team too, while hard work and efficiency at your position plays a factor being on top of all that will make/break you. The silent personalities will only go so far unless they're a lowkey genius at their profession. Got a lazy dude in my department right now thats terrible at his job and lazy, we all want him gone, but his ability to suck up to our boss somehow gets him through every semi-annual review.

Always better to be early as hell than late too. I live on the opposite side of the city from where my job is located, if a traffic jam happens and I left home hoping to make it to work right on time that would make me late so I always leave the crib with plenty of time to spare. Usually get to work about 15-25 minutes early.

Other than that, do your job well, be a team player, don't become a liability (lazy / cant deliver), and you should be gucci.

Joined Feb 24, 2016
What have you heard and witnessed, and why does it seem to occur so frequently in tech?
It occurs frequently in tech because it's a newer industry. Like how we are slowly automating a lot of things in big data now, it took a bit of time for us to get there but it's getting there.

Somethings bad I have witnessed, but that's not for a public forum. The main thing is it does work both ways though. If you ever get told something makes someone unformfortable or was unwanted, then the behavior should stop immediately. However, failure to speak up and continuing to let bad behavior go on, thats on the victim to address if they want it to stop. Things that take place outside of work, its a grayer area due to the location and the situation. Nobody likes lawsuits except lawyers.

Joined Dec 5, 2005
Similar to what wj4 wj4 said, you should have goals in mind. Always have a long-term goal for where you want to be and who you want to be, then set realistic milestones for those goals that you can hold yourself accountable for.

That transition from streetwear -> corpo is a major lifestyle change.
I did the same thing and it was hard sitting behind a desk 8-10hrs a day when you're used to being on the move etc.
But you'll learn the ropes and the culture, similar to the way you learned the resell one, keep at it and make that $$$.

In terms of daily tips, learn to communicate thru email. Take notes and leave meetings with action items.

Top Boy

formerly jay patt
Joined Feb 5, 2013
It makes me sound like a creep to say sexually harass but it wasn't really that since they consented and it was just flirtation btw two adults.

But being serious, if you feeling a co worker make sure to press outside of work. Best believe someone will over hear and/or presume **** if ya around each other a lot.

And be very careful, becuase some women will get you hooked just to claim harassment to get you fired. Just to move in on your clients or position.

Cold world out here.
Never **** where you sleep period unless they leave the company.

Too many women out here to run the risk of endangering your cash flow just for some p.

llerraj

Banned
Joined Oct 19, 2016
I work for the same kind of firm and to add on this... FaceTime matters. They will always tell you otherwise, "Work life balance, blah blah blah" but they're lying. They'd prefer to see you there putting in hours if you're at analyst/associate level.
To go off of that it depends on the situation. I just saw a promotion within my department that rubbed a few people the wrong way because the person played the game and the person who stayed longer and put in more time at the company was ultimately passed over.

Mark Antony

Supporter
Joined Apr 30, 2010
To go off of that it depends on the situation. I just saw a promotion within my department that rubbed a few people the wrong way because the person played the game and the person who stayed longer and put in more time at the company was ultimately passed over.
Yeah you gotta learn the prevailing culture and politics of the organization and adapt to advance. Like at my last gig they had to choose between two Directors to lead a project, one has a history of successful projects, gets them done efficiently with everyone happy without much feathers ruffled. Another is a loudmouth and times just talks to hear himself talk, but not as efficient. They went with the latter because they felt he'd be more aggressive.

antidope

Supporter
Joined Jan 2, 2012
Buddy buddy with HR. They will be your homies especially when regarding pay
I've been 50/50 with this. My current job one of the MDs is really in charge of who gets paid what salary.
Yeah I just saw that too, that's why you really gotta figure out the ratio. Just putting in the hours got me promoted last time around but I doubt that works on its own this time.

antidope

Supporter
Joined Jan 2, 2012
That's a bit much. At a place where we're expected to be putting in twelve hour days the guy who comes in and legit puts in eight is going nowhere.

llerraj

Banned
Joined Oct 19, 2016
That's a bit much. At a place where we're expected to be putting in twelve hour days the guy who comes in and legit puts in eight is going nowhere.
Correct. He knew how to play the game and he has the look of the male leadership. The optics of the situation were bad for Director. It what it is.

Re: HR. Human Resources isn't your friend. They're there to protect the company, not you. They have very little to do with budgets and who fills roles.

Last edited:
Joined Feb 9, 2006
I don't work a corporate job and my company probably couldn't care less, but watch what you post on social media.

Joined Feb 24, 2016
Correct. He knew how to play the game and he has the look of the male leadership. The optics of the situation were bad for Director. It what it is.

Re: HR. Human Resources isn't your friend. They're there to protect the company, not you. They have very little to do with budgets and who fills roles.
Very good points here.

Perception of how well someone does a job should be based on how the job is being done, not on how much you see that person performing the function of that role. Unless that job requires it as part of it, like a receptionist.

I have free time at work and can leave early. A lot of that stems from how well I handle my role.

Joined May 11, 2017
im only in my early 20's and still in school so a few years off from it being a factor but any advice on freeform dreads in corporate settings?

am i gonna have to cut it off/down to a fro or do people generally not care?

i have somethimg like this and want to keep them at this length for the foreseeable future.

Top Boy

formerly jay patt
Joined Feb 5, 2013
im only in my early 20's and still in school so a few years off from it being a factor but any advice on freeform dreads in corporate settings?

i have somethimg like this and want to keep them at this length for the foreseeable future.

Im 22, corporate for about 3 years, im working completely behind the scenes and only know corporate from that PoV so I wouldn't care if you came in wearing slides to be honest.

But I am the only person of color in the building I work in and can assure you they'd feel some type of way. Im in the midwest, so that's where I draw my position from.

Wouldn't be surprised if you could pull it off in more liberal areas but these conservative dudes still come to work with tucked-in collared polos when our dress code is, 'wear pants.'

antidope

Supporter
Joined Jan 2, 2012

You're not doing yourself any favours going in the door with that is all I can say really. Not an insurmountable thing but yeah.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now