the thread about nothing...

Joined Mar 24, 2018
not sure if Kob was the first one to do it (i would be surprised if he was) but hella people have done it before bron did it lol. it's a pretty standard thing to do for HSers to do before announcing the college they signed with.
Nearly 80 years before LeBron James, famed novelist Agatha Christi wrote the following in 1922’s The Secret Adversary: “When I was a boy I heard a famous murder trial. I was deeply impressed by the power and eloquence of the counsel for the defence. For the first time I entertained the idea of taking my talents to that particular market.” :emoji_older_woman:

Here's a good article on where the phrase came from and how it was used in different ways in sports before Kobe.

Joined Aug 24, 2017
Who thinks that they are a break away from becoming a billionaire? The average American makes $700 per week.
A lot of people unfortunately. When discussing the disparity between the wealthiest Americans and the poorest, I've had grown men who you'd put in the lower middle class bracket defend the billionaires in our society because they think it just took hard work and passion to gain their wealth. They think "honest hard work" can you make you rich and if they just keep working hard maybe one day things will take a turn for the better and they'll also be rich.

Joined Sep 28, 2003
A lot of people unfortunately. When discussing the disparity between the wealthiest Americans and the poorest, I've had grown men who you'd put in the lower middle class bracket defend the billionaires in our society because they think it just took hard work and passion to gain their wealth. They think "honest hard work" can you make you rich and if they just keep working hard maybe one day things will take a turn for the better and they'll also be rich.
I am pretty sure most Billionaires have blood on their hands. A few mill is probably attainable for most regular folks who strive hard and have some decent luck.

Joined Aug 24, 2017
I am pretty sure most Billionaires have blood on their hands. A few mill is probably attainable for most regular folks who strive hard and have some decent luck.
Well, yeah most educated adults know this about billionaires lol. But we live in a society where a lot of adults are under educated. You can definitely be a millionaire with a successful business or product invention, etc. But they think having $30 billion just means you just hustled harder than anyone else. A lot of people can't grasp truly how much $1bn is in comparison to $1m

Mark Antony

Supporter
Joined Apr 30, 2010
They think they can "pull themselves up by the bootstraps" and look down on people they're one missed paycheck away from being.

Joined Aug 24, 2017
They think they can "pull themselves up by the bootstraps" and look down on people they're one missed paycheck away from being.
Most mind blowing thing to me is people born into poverty who idolize generational billionaires as if they've done something to be where they are, not realizing part of why they themselves were born into such a terrible situation was the wealth gap in our country for centuries.

It's a very American thing to glamorize people who's wealth is a product of greed, as opposed to most other countries who know their wealthiest citizens are a symbol of corruption

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now